Wednesday, July 05, 2006

This Week's Releases: July 6, 2006

Lots of new series will debut this week, and there are a few that I'll at least give a try to. All-New Atom and OMAC both hooked me enough in last week's Brave New World that I'll at least try the first issues. Beyond frankly looks like superhero filler that usually wouldn't even get a cursory flip-through from me, but I'm taking Dwayne McDuffie on faith at this point ... that's really the whole point of a "track record", isn't it? That pesky "track record" will also get me to pick up the Truman/Lansdale Conan & The Songs Of The Dead after studiously limiting myself to only the main Conan series.

It's not these debuts that have me excited for the trip to 2005 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Winning Night Flight Comics, however: it's the two series that are seeing a rebirth. Both Detective and Uncanny X-Men are among those few touchstone comics that I find myself wanting to collect, even when they're in a creative slump. I've largely resisted both since I returned to comics a bit over a year ago, but am now welcoming them back with open arms. Ed Brubaker on Uncanny and Paul Dini (with J.H. Williams) on Detective? Both the Big Two seem to vacillate on putting "names" on the tentpole franchises, and I'm glad to see the pendulum swing back towards exciting creative teams.

  • 52 #9
  • All-New Atom #1
  • Batman: Secrets #5
  • Detective Comics #821
  • JSA #87
  • OMAC #1
  • Outsiders #38
  • Secret Six #2
  • Teen Titans #37
  • Beyond #1
  • Fantastic Four: First Family #5
  • Incredible Hulk #96
  • Uncanny X-Men #475
  • Conan & The Songs Of The Dead #1
  • Dark Horse: Twenty Years


Categories:

No comments: