Tuesday, November 14, 2006

This Week's Releases: November 15, 2006

A light week, which is a fine, fine thing. I'm re-reading Seven Soldiers according to The Morrison Method, wrapping up Mayflower before Thanksgiving, and clearing the decks for Against The Day. I've actually had dreams about reading Against The Day ... that's how much I'm looking forward to Pynchon's latest. So a light weeks of comics just means I can get a lot of other reading done.

The biggest release of the week in my little world is Absolute New Frontier, as I still have never read the series. I heard raves about it when I returned to comics, but had a sneaking suspicion that if I bought the TPBs I would quickly be replacing them with the at-that-time-unannounced Absolute edition so I held off. Now that waiting will be rewarded, and I can't wait to read this story. Maybe I'm an idiot for buying a story for the first time in an Absolute Edition, but I feel pretty assured it'll be worth it. Though I support my local shop (2005 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Winning Night Flight Comics), I will probably be an ass and buy this online where the discount will be substantial.

There's a lot of good comics on the list, however, at a fraction the price of Absolute New Frontier. The next part of Astro City: The Dark Age begins, Astonishing X-Men continues its quiet run of excellence, and the Knaufs follow up on their excellent opening Iron Man arc.

Oh, and something called Civil War drops, which is at least good food for my Google Reader.

  • 52 #28 $2.50
  • Absolute DC: The New Frontier
  • Astro City: The Dark Age Book 2 #1
  • Birds Of Prey #100
  • Astonishing X-Men #18
  • Cable/Deadpool #34
  • Civil War #5
  • Iron Man #13
  • New Avengers #25
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four #36
  • Escapists #5

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Thanks for posting the Morrison Method. I've got it saved for next time I read SS.

I too have never read DC New Frontier, don't think I'll be as brave as you and pick up the absolute edition though. I'll try to catch it somewhere though.

Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

Hey, Mark! How's things? Just wanted to stop by and say hello; no telling how long I'm back for!

Looking forward to your review of New Frontier. I've been curious about it, and I'm tempted to make it my first Absolute purchase, but I want an opinion I trust. No pressure! ;-)

Hope all is well.

Mark Fossen said...

I love the Absolute format, Guy. They are things of beauty. The Watchmen and Sandman volumes are just beautiful. When I am able to get my hands on New Frontier, I'll make sure to write a bit about it.

Mister Bones said...

New Frontier was amazing guys, definately worth the Absolute treatment. Read it anyway you can!

Mark, not doing the Donner/Johns Action run? I thought the first issue was fantastic. Plus, it has Bizarro!

Mark Fossen said...

I am definitely doing the Kubert Action run.

It's not out this week, is it? I didn't see it at the shop, and Midtown doesn't show it either.

Mister Bones said...

Oops! I was going by DCs site, they have it listed for this week. I didn't get a chance to hit the shop today. Hopefully next week then. Apologies for the confusion.