Tuesday, November 07, 2006

This Week's Releases: November 8, 2006

My most anticipated releases this week are of a distinctly digital kind: Gears Of War and Call Of Duty 3. Both for the Xbox 360, both hitting tomorrow. It's a banner month for gaming, and these two titles look to get it started tight. I also have a copy of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance on the way through the cheapness of eBay, and will be sure to share some thoughts.

And when I get to 2005 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Winning Night Flight Comics? What will I be buying there?

Well, it's more a matter of what I won't be buying. There's a lot of interesting-but-I'll-wait releasing this week. Bullet Points has a great premise and Tommy Lee Edwards, but J. Michael Straczynski's comics work is really hit and miss for me ... without the "hit" part. Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes II has a great creative team, but will probably read better in the eventual trade than in monthly doses. I get the same tradewait vibe off Wisdom, but the fact Paul Cornell is responsible for one of the best hours of television ever makes me feel like I should give it a try.

The highlight of the week, without doubt, is a new Action Philosophers! arriving to grace us with its intelligence and humor.

  • 52 #27
  • Batman #658
  • Batman And The Mad Monk #4
  • Gen 13 #2
  • Green Lantern #14
  • Superman #657
  • Teen Titans #40
  • Phonogram #3
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways #4
  • Doctor Strange: Oath #2
  • Eternals #5
  • Wisdom #1
  • Battlestar Galactica #3
  • Action Philosophers #7

4 comments:

Paul Cornell said...

Oh, well, gosh, thanks very much. Go on, buy Wisdom, you're just on the edge of going to. You just need someone to nudge you into a comic shop.

Mark Fossen said...

I tried, I really did.

But I hadn't preordered, and my local shop didn't order even a single shelf copy. I'll have to try to find it - not an easy feat in Utah, sparse of comic shops.

SallyP said...

Wisdom was actually a lot of fun. Even better, Green Lantern #14 came out! Woohoo! AND Fables.

Emperor Nerd said...

Gears of War is actually as good as the hype. Especially the first time you hit someone with the chainsaw!