Thursday, October 27, 2005

T.G.I.F.: October 28, 2005



From The Goon 25 Cent Edition comes this fez-rockin' demon that brightens my day. That man obviously knows how to celebrate a Friday.

In so many ways do I say "T.G.I.F. !!!" today.

Work has been unusually cruel, but today I'll head out early to make this week's delayed trip to 2005 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Winning Night Flight Comics. There I will find many a comic, and a choice few that I am really looking forward to writing about here. As if that wasn't a good enough cap to a bad week, we're carving pumpkins tonight.



My blog is worth $20,887.98.
How much is your blog worth?


   It is also a happy thing to discover that my little blog here is worth exactly the amount I need to spend on back issues before I can feel caught up! Now if I could just figure out where to cash in ...


The not-happy thing? The news that the whole "King" initiative is just Stephen King writing a monthly fills me with .... well, not that much. How simultaneously disappointing and unexpected it is ...

5 comments:

Hate Filled Poster said...

Mine is worth about $23,710.68 according to that site. Have you seen Blogshares?

Here's your site.

Jog said...

From the looks of it (and by 'it' I mean Joe Q.'s Newsarama thing today), King isn't providing direct scripts either; he's writing it through a multi-level adaptation of the Mighty Marvel Method - he's supplying a core story that's first broken down by one party into a comics-friendly outline, then broken down by another party into a series of page-by-page outlines, then yet another party (who possibly might be the same as one of the prior mentioned parties) will apply dialogue and narration to the finished art. All will have King's final approval, of course, but there's gonna be quite a few other 'writing' hands on it besides King's, and that's in comparison to the average comics series...

Jason said...

King's move represents one of the biggest writer's in the world coming down to our tiny little medium to write an installment of one of his best selling books (7-10mil per, I believe) in a medium that currently breaks 6-figures and is considered a success.

If creators can start acting like business men and preparing for the fact that in a year from now 10 million people are going to be talking about a COMIC (not a movie adaptation of a comic but a COMIC) King's move can be one of the best things to happen to this industry in a long, long time.

In other words, this isn't for the comic fans - this is for the medium provided creators know what to do with it.

Jason said...

...as a matter of fact I was so inspired by the insane amounts of negativity I've seen towards the announcement that I went ahead and published this article four days earlier than I was scheduled to.

Mark Fossen said...

Jason -

My problem isn't with King himself. It's with marvel. You don't reinvigorate the industry by publishing a Direct Market miniseries, then moving to trade later. Add the fact that this is not part of the continuing story, but is just prequel material. Add the fact that judging from JoeyQ's description this is "from the mind of" ... not "written by".

Screw the serialization, and publish an original graphic novel written by King that is aimed at the bookstore market ... then you'd have something.

This looks like nothing more than Whedon all over again.