Monday, February 13, 2006

Focused Linkblogging

  • Rawhide was labeled MAX because the major hook and focus of the project was the sexuality of the main character, a 50-plus year old established character. The reason the books featuring the characters you named in your question [Northstar, Hulkling, Asguardian] don't carry a MAX label is because that's not the focus of their books. The sexuality aspect of their lives is just one part of the whole that makes up their books, as opposed to Rawhide, where the fact that he was gay and his history was the major point of the book.
    -- Joe Quesada at NEWSARAMA.COM


    So, in other words, if a gay character is presented as a human being and not a mincing stereotype .... then you don't need the MAX label? It's like some Bizarro imprint where adolescent fag jokes are "adult" content, and an approach where characters transcend token status is "for the kids".

  • Snark is plentiful on the WeboComicsBlogoNet. Really funny snark is a bit harder to find. 2 Guys Buying Comics made me laugh a lot with "Fly On The Wall, Vol. I: JLA".

  • Morrison said that he's already plotted 15 issues, and in his first issue alone, he has 15 ninja man-bats as well as Talia, and the story is called "Batman & Son". Morrison said Batman coming out of 52 OYL will be a more of a "fun guy, more healthy", more like the "Neal Adams, hairy-chested, love-god" version of Batman.


    It only took six months to get the news I wanted - though Kubertness is still pending. Morrison on Batman and Dini on Detective is about as happy as WonderCon news could make me.

  • More Punks. This will find a publisher, won't it?

  • I plan to have something up on Nana soon, work permitting. Until then, direct your eyes to Flipped, where David Welsh talks about this wonderful shojo manga.

  • Maybe the best commentary on Sexy Chix is this post at Resplendent Beard which discusses the book and much more:

    When I'm linked to, I don't get tagged as a new female blogger or hailed for my estrogen-bathed insights (not that I have many insights in the first place, fond as I am of driveby-comedy-style blogging); I get descriptions of the "Not quite right in the head" variety, which is more than fair. Do any of you genuinely think that the bitchy webcomics make me sexy? Do you like my work less because you don't know what I look like--Hell, that you don't know my name? I suspect if I were to play up my gender, I might get more attention, but that goes against one of the few deep-seated moral precepts that I have: I will earn what I get. I don't want people to give me a pass or pay attention to me because I'm a girl in a man's world. It's dishonest.


Categories:

1 comment:

Chris said...

Mark,

Thanks much for the link!

Also, since you were dead on about Elk's Run, I took a flyer on Tales Designed To Thrizzle.

Mmmmmm, that's some good comics!