Saturday, August 20, 2005

A Little Weekend Linkblogging

  • Harvey Jerkwater came to kick ass, review comics, and chew bubblegum. And he's all out of bubblegum. This is damn fine criticism, and it's always bold to point out when the Emperor is somewhat less-than-dressed. I think he's right on target about Chris Ware and Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid in the World, especially. A great read, and I'd hate to see it get lost due to a Saturday posting.

  • Tom Spurgeon reviews Yotsuba&! and in so doing shows why he's Tom Spurgeon and I'm ... not. He's able to pin down both the strengths and weaknesses of Yotsuba&! in a detailed way that shows this simple little book has some amazing stylistic strength.

  • BWS@Hyperedition, another Japanese site, picked up my Yotsuba&! post. Thanks to that site, I recieved more visitors Saturday than I have totaled since the site opened. A site that usually sees about 20-30 visitors a day recieved well over 1400 hits today. Though I'm not all that interested in how many visitors the site gets, a sudden increase of something like 7000% is certainly something worth noticing. I can't help but think it says something about the strength of manga fandom in Japan vs. what we see in the American comics scene. Once again, Bablefish provides something closer to modern poetry than translation: " The review being done in such wind, when the る you see, well, being properly read, the る it is after the shelf, keenly."

Tags:

No comments: