Tuesday, January 24, 2006

This Week's Releases: January 25, 2006

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. As have reports of my alien abduction, three-picture Miramax deal, and my nasty spat with Al Franken. I have not abandoned you, WeboComicsBlogoNet o' my heart, though I did leave you without so much as a T.G.I.F. post last week. I was pummeled with am Immunological Perfect Storm that astounded as it left devastation in it's wake. A few short hours after mentioning to Mike at 2005 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Winning Night Flight Comics that I was feeling a bit under the weather, I was at home shivering uncontrollably with fever. It's why I'm giving up on discussing last week's books: I can't tell if it's the bacterium talking when I say I was underwhelmed by All-Star Superman.

Warren Ellis, Stuart Immonen, Fin Fang Foom, and a catchy theme song? "Healing America by beating people up"? You had me at "Hello", NextWave.

Just for the Sake Of Jog, I will actively pursue Kevin Huizenga's Ganges, which would be my first Huizenga. I just found out that Huizenga graces the cover of the upcoming reissue of the wonderful Howard Who?, so he now has a special place in my heart. There's no way around it, though: $7.95 for 32 pages is brutal, and I may chicken out at the last second.

I will not be purchasing it, I hope the uninitiated take the opportunity to jump on to Godland with the Hello Cosmic collection. Ed Brubaker's Deadly Genesis continues, and the fact it signals his takeover of Uncanny X-Men lends it even more weight. Sexy Chix leaves me in a conundrum: I find the cover and title appalling, but am interested in the content and want to support more female voices in comics. That's the problem when voting with your wallet: you often don't know exactly what you're saying.

Something's missing? New Avengers, you say? Interesting, that .....

  • Adventures Of Superman #648
  • Batman #649
  • JLA Classified #16
  • Wonder Woman #225
  • Godland #7
  • NextWave #1
  • Thing #3
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four X-Men Special
  • X-Men: Deadly Genesis #3
  • Warren Ellis' Black Gas #1
  • Ganges #1
  • Local #3
  • Sexy Chix TP

5 comments:

Spencer Carnage said...

Passing up on what seems to some great work for a whole slew of female creators just because some moron at Dark Horse named the thing "Sexy Chix"....well, that's just not right at all.

Mark Fossen said...

I'm quite sure you're right, Spencer.

Anonymous said...

Buy Ganges #1. Buy it, buy it, buy it. It's so frigging good.

Mark Fossen said...

I saw your post on it, and if it's in stock, I will.

Jog said...

I think Ganges will be well worth the money (it is going to be a lovely presentation, if the other books in the series I've seen are any indication), and I'll be waiting for your reactions... I'd also say you should look into the three extant issues of Or Else, especially the utterly wonderful #2, which at $5.95 for 100 pages is also a little easier on the pocketbook...