Thursday, July 14, 2005

Jog - The Blog on All Star Batman & Robin The Boy Wonder

I had planned to blog on All-Star Batman, but may look elsewhere, as Jog - The Blog knocks it out of the park.

And while I can'’t really say I enjoyed this book (of course, neither can I say I totally hated it - guilty and possibly unintentional laughs work as a mitigating factor with me), I can say that it'’s garbage of a resolutely Frank Miller vintage. Anyone who was afraid that the All Star designation would dilute the Miller feel can exhale now.


The reaction across the Comics Blogoshpere has been decidedly mixed, but I think Jog nails it: why were we expecting "iconic" from Frank Miller? The man's spent his career subverting expectations, and there's no reason to expect he'd stop now. I think I'll like this better once I accept the fact that it's not "definitive" or "timeless".

It's Jim Lee. It's Frank Miller. It's Batman. 'Nuff said.

2 comments:

Jog said...

Yeah... if it's gonna be bad, it's not gonna sink into faceless mediocrity; we're at least guaranteed A Frank Miller Disaster.

Mark Fossen said...

I'm in a discussion over at Millarworld about the Vicky vale stuff ... myabe it's just that no one told Frank Miller this was supposed to be summer's Big Thing. I guess I give him credit for just doin' his thang, regardless of the circumstance.