Monday, November 14, 2005

Focused Linkblogging

  • Well, it's the end of an era. Though this is utterly non-comics related, I want to record my last review for Operation Sports. I was with the site for years in various capacities, including coding, reviewing, blogging, and running the discussion forums. It was a great time for me, but I've decided I want to move on to focus on other things (like this little site here). I'll miss Operation Sports terribly, and am thankful for the opportunities I got there. In particular, I got a chance to exercise critical and writing muscles that had atrophied since college. That led directly to my writing here, and to plans for the future. Thanks to all at OS ... but especially to Steve and Shawn, who helped me find my voice.

  • Neilalien has his take on the superhero/indy divide, inspired by Ian Brill's essay. I tend to agree with The Palindromic One, but I'm not quite so despairing about getting people to "medium jump". It's comics - most people have at least a passing familiarity with the artform though webcomics or newspaper strips or childhood reading.

  • DC held a retailer meeting (I believe Mimi from 2005 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Winning Night Flight Comics attended), and Newsarama has details. The highlight is a creative team I can't even believe I'm seeing:

    Hawkman changes its title to Hawkgirl with issue #50 as a part of the publisher’s “One Year Later…” event. The series will also be getting a creative team change, with Walt Simonson coming on board as writer and Howard Chaykin joining as penciler (marking the first return of both to mainstream, ongoing DCU work in years – and the first time in years that the two former studio mates will be working together).


  • In the "New To The Blogroll Dept.": 1000 Monkeys, by Bryan Rosenberg. He's one of the Spoilt! stalwarts, and I just realized I didn't even have his site on the 'roll.

Tags:

No comments: